Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Missing Letters of Odon's University...

Tomorrow may be my last day. I wasn't sure who to say goodbye to. They won't remember me anyway. I'll be a distant memory, a vacant figure in their minds. My roommate, my friends? What do those words mean anyway. I don't know who they are, and they certainly don't know me.
You want to know what happened? I was told to go to the Odonian. It may mean nothing to you, just another aspect of everday University life, but for me, it's a death sentence. When you're a part-blood there isn't much use for your existence. Odon says we live to serve, our presence is expendable. So I know the Odonian won't let me just waltz back to class. It doesn't matter what I did or who I offended. They have no use for me anymore, if there was one to begin with.
I had been standing at the corner of the hallway, pressed against the blank walls, my dark brown hair framing eyes too blue. I wasn't suppose to look this way, it wasn't Odon's plan. My impurity was my own fault. They took punishment into their own hands, striking down on me without inhibition. Beneath the burning bulbs of a blinding hallway. They started with my skin, not as dark as their own, because I am partly winglet, brandishing it with fists and books of Faith. They tore at my hair grasping for security in their own superiority. I gave in, knowing that the pain only acknowledged what I felt within.
I'm not sure how long I laid there. Spotlighted by the orb of white light above, head cocked awkwardly to the side, knees angled unnaturally inward. The red streaming from my nose and staining my clothing, coursing through my veins and staining myself. It was there that I laid awaiting the true persecution. I couldn't muster the strength to look upwards when someone tapped me on the shoulder. But I did hear the reprimand the faceless person had for me. "The Odonian would like to see you."
I'm not sure what I did, I know I probably missed class or looked at one of those pure-bloods in a way that was not accepted. I suppose it doesn't matter. I only wish I had someone to say goodbye to. I only wish I could know that someone was reading my words and actually seeing them. Seeing me.
--------Stuffed beneath the desk of Room 122

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your feedback! Missing Letters will return...especially as I'm working on the second book.

    ReplyDelete